Monday, December 8, 2008

My personal reflection on Audio Visual Class

Four months of sweat, tears and conquering technology fears

I would like to start this summary with a confession: I really hated even the most basic of using a computer, which is typing on the keyboard.
I remember when I was in high school, I had three choices for an elective: typing, bookkeeping, or cosmetology. I chose cosmetology without hesitation.
In college, I completed a bachelor of science degree in elementary education, but for almost the last decade, I’ve taken a career path that had mostly to do with cosmetics and fragrances – as a supervisor for a high-end brand.
But after many years in the cosmetics industry, I have decided to shift back to classroom teaching.
This decision was inspired by my children, who range in grades from kindergarten to sophomore in high school. I felt if I went back to teaching, I could provide them with a better learning environment at home, and my work schedule would go well with their hours in school.
This decision to shift careers led me to sign up for this class.
With my background, this class was not an easy start. Almost everything in this class required the use of computer, computer software, and online research - just to name a few.
Because of my ignorance in computer use, I felt lost and felt out of touch during the first few days of the class. I looked at the young faces of my classmates, most of whom are computer-savvy.
I had a hard time because I had to learn two things at the same time. One, begin learning basic computer, which I never had formal training before, and two, also trying to absorb what the teacher is saying in class.
I remember the very first day of class I felt so frustrated about my limitations in computer use that I cried in front of my professor. I felt embarrassed that at work, I’m a supervisor, but in class I was a dummy.
There were countless nights I thought of dropping the class. But I decided that giving up is not the way to go. I really need to change my career so, no matter what it takes, I have to do my best in this class.
I turned my frustration into a challenge. I spent countless hours staying way past midnight, and at times until morning, getting myself familiar with the computer and navigating online sites to research for my homework.
After a while, I’ve gained confidence in my computer use. I spent many more hours exploring the Internet and learning from different Web sites.
These days, while I can’t say I am an expert in using computer technology as a future returning teacher, I can also humbly say that I have learned a lot.
I am no longer the computer illiterate when I started with this class. Before, I didn’t even know what URL meant. That’s not the case anymore. I can post comments easily, blog, upload links, bookmarking URLs, participating in an online class, use excel, and most importantly, I no longer panic when the computer shuts down.
When I finally become ready for classroom teaching, I think I will be able to teach and prepare lesson plans that will use technology to enhance students’ learning.
This class has made me want to learn more advanced computer lessons that will help me become more prepared to be a Guam school teacher.
I hope that if given the opportunity to pass this class, it will inspire me to learn more about the use of technology in the classroom.
And the next class I take there’s one I thing I won’t repeat for sure. I will still sweat with many more hours of work, but I will no longer be in tears for not knowing how to use a computer.
I have no regrets having taken this class. I also have gained some supportive classmates who I am thankful for as well as my teacher. They helped give me support to stick to the end.

1 comment:

Jacqui Cyrus said...

Hi:
What a beautiful and touching essay! I am so very proud of you.

-j-